THFC’s Periodic Table!
A football club has its own elements; its own ‘Periodic Table’. A football match result can be influenced by any of these elements. They illustrate how many variables exist in a game of football and why any result is so unpredictable. Here are some that I can think of that affect every club.
They are submitted in random order.
• Referees decisions
• Referee Assistants decisions
• Size of the pitch
• Playing at home or away
• Degree of crowd support
• Skill level of players
• Attitude of players
• Work ethic of players
• Influence of agents
• Team spirit
• Manager’s coaching ability
• Manger’s ‘inter-personal (people) skills’
• Manager’s ability to deal with the media
• Coaching Staff
• Training Facilities
• International demands on players
• Medical Staff
• Influence of new players …. for better or worse
• Media pressure
• Financial capacity of a club to buy players
• Financial capacity of a club to pay salaries
• Financial benefits regarding sponsorship contracts
• Club ownership
• Club Chairperson
• Club Board members
Given the above, one has to wonder how hard it is to win any game let alone a title!
It’s also clear that, whereas supporters just focus mainly on match results and the league table, there are so many elements that have to be balanced by the club as a whole. To my thinking, it’s a balancing act of mammoth proportions!
What do VS people think and what other ‘elements’ could be added to the list?